Mintel, a leading market research company, has released a report jam-packed with interesting statistics about adult children living at home in the UK. The report itself is worth a read, and you can find it here.
Here are some of the highlights:
- 27% of new university graduates will be living with their parents
- 3 million adults are living with their parents in the UK
- 196,000 adults over age 36 are living with their parents in the UK
- 45% of parents say they have less money while their adult kids are living with them
- 18% of parents say it’s more stressful with adult children living at home
What’s most interesting, though, is that while most adult children move home either because of financial uncertainty or the end of a relationship, some move home just because they want to be pampered!
According to Ina Mitskavets, Consumer and Lifestyles Analyst at Mintel:
“While millions of boomerang children return home because of financial reasons – our research reveals this is not a clear cut case, many return simply to experience TLC, home comforts or simply because they have had enough of rented accommodation – and stick around because of this.”
If your adult children are moving back home, it’s important to have conversations about expectations beforehand. if you’re expecting them to be reasonably independent while they’re moving home to soak up your tender loving care, resentment and bad feelings will be sure to follow.